How to Use a Mala
A mala is a simple, sacred tool that anyone can use in their daily life. They can help reduce stress, and increase wisdom, patience and health. Malas are usually 27, 54 or 108 beads with one larger bead—all knotted on silk thread. The larger mala bead with the tassel is called the Guru bead.
- Mala means garland of flowers. Each mala bead symbolizes a lotus flower opening. The tassel represents a thousand lotus petals.
- Each finger relates to a different part of the brain. When using your mala, choose which finger to use depending upon what you'd like to manifest at that time.
Index finger (Jupiter): wisdom, knowledge and prosperity
Middle finger (Saturn): enhances patience
Ring finger (Sun): promotes health, vitality and strengthens the nervous system
Little finger (Mercury): improves communication skills and intelligence
- The meridian point is located on the inside of each finger, between the tip of the finger and the first knuckle. By running the mala over the meridian point of a specific finger, you'll create a different result.
How to Use Malas
- Malas may be used with either hand.
- Always start with the bead next to the Guru bead.
- As you repeat the mantra move each bead with the thumb, towards the body over the meridian point.
- The Guru bead descends and eventually ascends to be the last bead of your meditation. As you hold the Guru bead, repeat your mantra and make a prayer.
- To begin again, turn the mala around without the help of the other hand. Move the beads towards you and continue your mantra.
- Recite any mantra or positive affirmation that you would like when using your mala. This may be done out loud, whispering or silently. I've used mine silently at the dentist to help me stay relaxed and at the movies when it got a little scary for me.
Always remember that gemstones are a living healing energy and a sacred tool. Keep malas in a protective covering or on your altar in your home or office. I always give a silk pouch with each mala ordered that you may use to carry yours in.
View Malas >
Healing Properties of Malas >